Instructor Certification Course
The PADI Instructor Development Program prepares you to function as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor. In addition, it further develops your leadership and teaching abilities to the instructor level and prepares you to teach PADI programs.
To qualify for the PADI Instructor Development program, you must:
1. Be certified as a PADI Assistant Instructor or a PADI Divemaster, or as an instructor with another recreational diver training organization.
2. Be at least 18 years old.
3. Be fit for diving and submit a medical form signed by a physician.
4. Have been a certified diver for at least six months and logged at least 60 open water dives with experience in night, deep and navigation prior to beginning the Instructor Development Program, and have been a certified diver for at least 12 months and logged at least 100 dives prior to entering the Instructor Examination.
5. Submit proof of CPR training within 24 months
During the PADI Instructor Development program, you’ll learn the PADI System of diver education, standards and procedures, effective academic teaching presentations, teaching in confined water, conducting open water training dives and additional related topics. You’ll learn these topics one of two ways: through the PADI Instructor Development Program (IDC) or the PADI Instructor Orientation Program (IOC) (Note: the IOC is an option available only if you’re an instructor that is current with another certification organization and wish to become a PADI Instructor.)
After successful completion of the IDC or IOC, you must successfully complete the PADI Instructor Examination (IE). You will be evaluated on: dive theory, academic teaching, confined-water (pool) teaching, open-water teaching and general diving skills and professionalism.
As a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor you can conduct the entire range of PADI experience programs and PADI diver programs, from Open Water Diver through Divemaster (except for specialties and PADI Medic First Aid, which require specific Specialty Diver Instructor and Medic First Aid Instructor ratings).
After successfully completing your PADI IDC/IOC and IE, you'll receive a certification card and certificate denoting this rating. You’ll also become a member of PADI and receive benefits, including the ability to purchase professional liability insurance (which may be required to conduct some activities).
Contact Great Lakes Divecenter, Inc. for more information.
Click here for discussions about this Certification.